Invitation for Applications
|Project Holder||Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources|
|Project||Strengthening Fisheries Management and Production Capacity Project|
|Fund||Somaliland Development Fund|
|IFA Title||Opportunity for Fisheries Associations Specialist|
The Somaliland Development Fund (SDF) is a 4-year fund designed to support the Government of Somaliland (GoSL) filling a critical gap supporting projects that are fully aligned to the National Development Plan (NDP). The SDF is currently funded by the Department for International Development (DFID), the Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA), the Royal Norwegian Embassy and the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The Fund finances implementation of projects proposed and designed by Government of Somaliland line ministries which are aligned to the National Development Plan (NDP) and the specific ministries' strategies. The management of the SDF Secretariat has been contracted to BMB Mott MacDonald, an international consulting company, which is responsible for both the strategic and day-to-day management of the Fund on behalf of the Government of Somaliland and the donors. Among the beneficiary agencies is the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources (MoFMR).
The SDF has allocated funds to the MoFMR for implementation of the Strengthening Fisheries Management and Production Capacity Project with activities in Berbera, Hargeisa and Maydh. Among the activities funded under this project include rehabilitation works of Hiis/Ongor cold storage facility; construction of MoFMR regional offices in Maydh; and installation of the 3 cold storage units including Solar powered 3MT ice-machines in Maydh, Hiis and Onqor.
The Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources (MoFMR) is responsible for development and enhancement of the fishing sector, which is a potential contributor to the economic and social development of the country. The MoFMR SDF project purpose is “to strengthen institutional capacity of MoFMR and accelerate fish production through the rapid rehabilitation or development of new fishing support infrastructure while focusing on the fundamental long-term need for sustainable service delivery”.
The Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat on behalf of the MoFMR now invites applications from qualified Fisheries Associations Specialists to lead and technically support the establishment, training and kicking off of the operations of Fisheries Association in Maydh.
The Fisheries Associations Specialist will have the following skills, experience and qualifications:
Qualifications and skills
- A bachelor’s degree in Fisheries, Development Administration, Sociology, Economics from a recognised University;
- Experience in Somalia and/or Somaliland;
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
General professional experience
- At least 7 years previous experience working in Somalia/Somaliland particularly in the management of artisanal fisheries sector projects.
Specific professional experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in fisheries conducting community organisation/mobilisation among the small scale coastal fishing communities in Somalia/Somaliland;
- Practical experience with developing fisheries related value chain from the production (catching the fish) to the marketing for fisheries communities living in remote locations such as Maydh;
- Experience with organising and building of fisheries communities associations. The candidate should have worked with one such association for at least 2 years;
- Experience in conducting training or organising training at community level.
How to apply
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for the this position.
This position is open to Somaliland Nationals and International Candidates
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply