P101-052 Invitation for Applications for Long-Term Technical Advisor MoTRD
Project Holder:Ministry of Transport and Roads Development
Project:Burao-Berbera Road Rehabilitation Project
Fund:Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2
IFA Title:Long-Term Technical Advisor
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018-2024. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The SDF has allocated funds to Ministry of Transport and Roads and Transport Development for the implementation of the “Burao-Berbera Road Rehabilitation project”. The project contains four major components, namely: capacity development component for MoTRD, community engagement, rehabilitation of 82km of road from Burao toward Berbera including 4 bridges and feasibility and design scope of the 78km road section between Erigavo and Maydh towns in Sanaag region
The SDF Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Long-Term Technical Advisor (TA) to work in the Project Management Team to support and advise the MoTRD on various technical matters for smooth implementation of the project on a day to day basis.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
Qualifications and skills
At least a bachelor’s degree in Civil engineering is required;
- Master’s Degree in Construction Project Management or Masters in Roads & Traffic Engineering;
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English. Fluency in Somali will be an added advantage although not essential;
- Experience with road rehabilitation, improvement and bridge rehabilitations;
- Familiarity with software’s such as HDM4, AutoCAD Civil 3D and Primavera or MS project;
- Proven facilitation, analytical and report writing skills.
General professional experience
Minimum of 10 years' experience working in senior level in project management;
- Proven experience in Project Management skills including financial and physical progress monitoring and reporting;
- Minimum 5 years of performance management practices in public sector;
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience with donor-funded projects;
- Proven understanding of conflict sensitivity, environmental management plans and gender and social inclusion programming;
- Proven understanding and demonstrated application of Project Cycle Management (PCM), Logical Framework Approach (LFA), Theory of Change (ToC), Procurement Planning, and Financial Management;
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach teams;
- Proven experience of delivering Value for Money;
- Work experience in the Horn of Africa region especially Somaliland would be an added advantage but not a requirement; and
- Possess in depth knowledge of the road and construction sector policies and strategies.
Specific professional experience
Demonstrated experience (minimum of 8 years) in supervisory and designer roles in the implementation of road/highway design and construction/rehabilitation implementation;
- At least 6 years’ experience in managing road/highway constructions and rehabilitations; and
- Managed at least two (2) similar assignments of similar size and degree of complexity in the last 5 years.
Interested candidates should send their applications (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail
Detailed Terms of Reference can be found here.
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This consultancy is open to Somaliland and International candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.